Saturday, May 24, 2008

Showing up is half the battle....

My Mom and Aunt Patty flew in from Ohio. This despite their initial reservations being canceled because Skybus went out of business. Their trip was also hampered by a bad case of airsickness and stomach flu. They were present on Opening night with flowers in hand!

Katie's Granny and Aunt Barbara. People who mean the world to my baby girl. Their trip was not easy either. Air transportation whether it is seating or getting from one place to another with Aunt Barbara's limited mobility is a challenge. Not to mention the Motel 6 nightmare, that was waiting for them when they arrived. They brought all their love, all the way from the east coast!

Our lawyers Sarah and Justin faced not only the challenges of looming deadlines, but also transportation difficulties getting from the city to the burbs. Not to mention the florists who have the nerve to close on time! Thank goodness for BART, taxi's, scooters, & sheer willpower that allowed them to arrive in one piece and on time, (and with flowers, because every little girl needs flowers!)

Nothing could keep my sister-in-law Rebeccah from making the show. Sister's graduation, bah, friends getting married no problem, husband stuck in the city with an impossible deadline.. she persevered and with great flowers and lovely card as usual. HUGS!

Just been on a 17 day cruise and need to get your house back in order? Family conflicts and church obligations have you tied down? None of these were excuses that kept my mother-in-law from making the show.

My daughter is just one of many students that her voice teacher sees weekly. Yet, each year she somehow manages to make it to one of Katie's shows. This is truly a labor of love, we know Katie would not be where she is right now, without Stephanie's infinite patience and her love to performing arts. There is a special place in heaven for her husband who accompanies her to these performances as well.

Her Dad works very hard to maintain a close relationship with Katie. Many absent fathers would say, there are already many people coming to the show, it does not make a difference if I am there. Kevin knows that it does indeed make a difference. Little girl's get their self-confidence from their Dads.

My husband is my rock. He keeps me on a forward trajectory even when I am close to falling. He supports me in all the crazy things I think I need to do. He loves Katie with all his heart, and he filmed the entire show....twice!

Nakeia and Zion, I saw you arrive and despite the long trip from Richmond and the late hour, you two made it to the show. I SOOO appreciate it.

Each person had a valid excuse for not making it to the show, yet somehow they made it a priority to come. Your presence is the biggest gift you could ever give to Katie or to me.

The way to win me over, is through my child. You all truly mean the world to me!

No comments: