Sunday, December 30, 2007

What about the left-overs?

Wow talk about getting the cart before the horse. I am not even pregnant, but I am concerned about what to do with the left-over embryos.

This may sound silly, especially given my known and sometimes rather verbose political affiliation. I do not believe it is proper for me to force my personal preferences on the world, but that being said, I have very clear ideas about what I feel is acceptable and unacceptable behavior for myself and the moral implications of my choices.

So we have eggs that are graciously donated by my sister, sperm contributed by my husband and injected into said eggs, and resulting embryos that are very precious. One of these may be the child we so desperately want. How can I say the others are less precious or less wanted?

Snowflakes, embryo adoption or donation, are all possibilities, but the thought of a baby out there somewhere that may have been a member of our family is overwhelming....so much to think about.

No comments: