Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Pokes and Probes

It has come to my attention that some of my blog readers think the blog may be a bit graphic....well I got news for you folks, if you think it is difficult to read this stuff, try living it!

Take today's post for example, pokes and probes, well what do you suppose that might mean? Well they sure didn't tickle me and ask me thoughtful questions. Continue reading at your own risk!

Today we had to verify that my blood estrogen level was acceptable to start the cycle which explains the poking. I would not usually mind this but when two people greeted me to draw my blood, I should have known what that meant. The young lady who prepared to draw my blood was trembling slightly and touched every one of her supplies nervously then scrubbed her hands very thoroughly. the other lady made casual conversation and stood by watching carefully. I offered cheerfully, it is right there by the freckle, you can't miss it! I am not sure if I was trying to convince myself or her. She put on the tourniquet and felt....and felt....and felt....then she looked at the other lady and said this is the part I always.....always what? I wondered because she did not finish the sentence. the other lady felt by the freckle and said it is right there, it is just deep. You know what deep is code for...stick the needle way in! Anyway, I should not complain she got it on the first stick, I just was not full of confidence. When the blood started to fill the tube I looked at the other lady and winked, code for she did not kill me and believe it or not it worked. She gave me a smile and a thumbs up!

Next, we went for the probing. We needed to make sure that my ovaries were listening to the Lupron and not allowing any eggs to mature. (I know that other parts of my body are listening to the Lupron because I have a constant dull headache and each night I find myself all hot and sweaty. Now do not get me wrong I am not against getting hot and sweaty, I just prefer not to wake up from a sound sleep in a puddle). Also we need to check the lining of my uterus and make sure it is thinned out and ready to begin the next wondrous cycle of womanliness!

Later in the day I get a phone call letting me know that all my tests were fine and I can start taking Estrogen and baby aspirin, and of course continue the Lupron injections, and take your prenatal vitamin (should I take 2 Prozac I wonder?). We are ready to start rebuilding that lining and preparing a soft place for our child to spend the next 9 months!

And now, we are officially starting the donor egg cycle! Everything we have done up until now has been preparing us for this cycle.

Good thoughts, prayers, and wishes of good luck are always welcome! Cross your fingers too!

No comments: