Saturday, February 23, 2008

Picking a donor

How complicated can this be? We started with our fertility clinic's donor pool. I looked mostly at women who had donated before and were eligible for shared cycles. Of the half dozen or so who met this criteria, how do I say this and be politically correct? Oh well when have I ever been politically correct? Let's just say they were quite diverse. My sister is now having dreams about me giving birth to Hispanic children!

I also discovered that my husband has some definite ideas about what qualities he would chose in a donor. It became painfully clear that the highly intelligent, good natured, round faced, pale skinned, preferably dimpled little girl is not standing by and waiting to give her eggs to us. So where do we go from here?

It becomes really perverse, when you start thinking of your friends and family members not as beloved family but as potential sources of prime donor eggs. Here is my husband thinking aloud. Maybe we can find a law student or young lawyer from Berkeley or Stanford who has a lot of debt to pay off and could use the money and would not mind helping a friend. Wait, we do know someone like that.....husband, I can use my sister as a donor, but you can't!

So, if any of you would like to volunteer your friends or family, please enclose 2 baby pictures, health records, and an essay on the value of egg donation........

I guess I will go back to looking at the diverse donors available at our clinic. Adios!

No comments: